TaxoDros is a joint project of Dr. Gerhard Bächli
(Zoological Museum) and
the IT Services (U. Bernhard, Dr. A. J. Godknecht)
of the University of Zürich.
TaxoDros was developed out of the need to find another platform for the Drosophila
Taxonomy Database maintained by Dr. Gerhard Bächli since 1975. The initial Drosophila
Database was running on a MVS system using a non-relational database called PIZZA. Data were checked
and prepared for input into PIZZA using a variety of SAS routines.
As the Center for Computing Services shut down the MVS System in October 1999 a new platform
for the database had to be found.
As the database in its MVS form was exclusively accessible and intellegible to Dr. Bächli only,
we decided to port the whole database to a relational database system (MySQL) and make it
accessible to the Drosophila community by writing a Web-Interface to search the data.
TaxoDros is running on a standard x86 server with Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP).
Interface Version 1.03 (March 2007)
Interface Version 1.02 (November 2006)
- Correction of a few minor bugs and typos.
Interface Version 1.01 (December 2003)
- Added links to pdf-files for art-books.
- Removed banners with obsolete information.
Interface Version 1.0 (January 2003)
- Added Taxa Lists and some search hints.
- Added hints for searches with Umlaute on reference page.
- Added information that World coordinates are in Degrees.Minutes, not Decimal
- Added lists for Genus/Subgenus, Genus/Subgenus/Group, Genus/Subgenuss/Goup/Complex
on page Classification page.
Interface Version 0.4 beta (June 2001)
- The interface proved to be stable so we changed the Version from
0.4 beta to 1.0. Further development is momentarily suspended.
Interface Version 0.3 beta (July 2000) not public
- Due to the workload of a lot of other projects the further
development of the interface had to be suspended for almost a year.
We started programming again at the beginning of June 2001.
- At last added the classification pages.
- Optimized code of many search pages
- Rearranged some tables to better fit the need of the classification pages
- Fixed some minor problems in the interface.
Interface Version 0.2 beta (September 1999)
- Most of the tables and search pages were redesigned to take into account
the newly added Taxonomy part of TaxoDros.
- Bugs fixed in searches for locations. Search just found entries with location
data, records without location (just region) were omitted (Oops!).
- Redesigned search page for taxon names to display taxon and to
search for corresponding TaxoDros unique short forms.
- Added necessary explanation for difference of TaxoDros unique short forms
and valid names.
- Added function to send selected citations in different formats (Ovid, Medline,
Complete/Text) by e-mail.
- Changed colors of result pages for better printing.
- Implemented Cascading Style Sheets for better support of Windows browsers.
- Added this history file ;-)
Interface Version 0.1 beta (August 1999)
- 0.2 beta was presented in September, 30, 1999 on the European
Drosophila Congress held at the University of Zürich.
- Supported searches for citations, distribution, taxon names (unique short forms)
and keywords. Literature display in short and detailed form.
- The initial interface 0.1 beta was only used for a feasability study.